We adore this recipe for crispy coconut prawns with tequila lime mayo dip. It’s one of our favourite treat dinners. Although half the prawns tend to not make it out the kitchen as we end up eating them as we cook!
It does take a little bit of prep to make this dish as we are individually coating each prawn with the batter. Plus, we need prepare the dip ahead of time. But it is so worth the effort.
The prawns have a deliciously light and crispy coating thanks to the panko breadcrumbs. And the coconut adds a wonderful sweetness that complements the sweetness of the prawns.
The tequila lime mayonnaise dip is incredibly more-ish. It’s just so tasty. In fact, you could probably use this dip for all sorts of things, such as a salad dressing, paired with chicken, or tofu. Make it thicker with more mayo and it could even be a good dip for tortilla chips.
The dip includes a touch of agave syrup for sweetness and to enhance the base flavour of the tequila. It all comes together perfectly.
Serve the crispy coconut prawns with salad for the perfect summer meal. Or if you need some extra carbs in your life (I know I do!) cook up some rice to go with it.
CRISPY COCONUT PRAWNS WITH TEQUILA LIME DIP (serves 4)
- 250g Raw Prawns
- 8 tbsp Panko Breadcrumbs
- 8 tbsp Desiccated Coconut
- 1 pinch of Sea Salt Flakes
- 1 Egg
- 5 tbsp Plain Flour
- Vegetable Oil, for frying
For the dip
- 5 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1 Lime, juice and zest
- 2 tsp Tequila
- 1tsp Agave Syrup
- 1 Pinch of Sea Salt Flakes
- Prepare the dip first – whisk the ingredients together until smooth (the mayo may look clumpy at first but just keep whisking). Cover and refrigerate until serving. I recommend adding a little lime zest at serving time to add a little more colour.
- Place the flour on a plate, lightly whisk the egg in a shallow bowl, and mix together the panko breadcrumbs, dessicated coconut, and salt on a plate. This is your dipping station!
- Dip the prawns, one by one, first in the flour followed by the egg then gently toss in the breadcrumb mix.
- Heat the oil in wide, high-sided frying pan. Make sure the oil is super hot, and be careful not to splash.
- When the oil is hot, carefully add a few prawns. They should sizzle immediately. Fry for 2 minutes on each side, or until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and rest on a plate covered with a few layers of paper towels. Fry the prawns in small batches until done.
- Serve the crispy coconut prawns with the dip on the side.